Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I'm not there

I have just finished watching the movie "I'm not there" directed by Todd Haynes. This movie is a biopic with a twist, and the twist is that the movie doesn't have the character whos biography its telling in it. It is the story of Bob dylan, without Bob dylan. Instead of actually telling about a person life, like any other plain old biopic, this movie uses 6 characters to embody the numerous facets of Bob Dylans personality, music, and age. If I ever had a movie made about me I would prefer it to be like this, except i would want like 20 different actors to play me. Anyway, i went into this movie not knowing much about Bob Dylan, Like Hansel from zoolander would say "I don't really listen to his music, but the fact that hes been making it for all these years, i respect that". I think this movie would have been more enjoyable to someone who is a big fan of Bob Dylan and has more knowledge of him than I do, however, i still felt this movie was worthwile. The use of multiple characters to represent one person is a good way to show the duality of man and how people change over time. Also, i enjoyed the music in this film, i will probably download some dylan tunes on my computer. I think i will try to find more films by the director Haynes, he used some great camera techniques and also helped to write the screenplay for this very innovative movie.

2 comments:

  1. It's cool that a movie about a musician turned you on to their music, it's funny how that works. I watched Walk the Line and started liking Johnny Cash. (never heard his music before)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anty movie that inspires people to listen to dylan is fine, by me. Thanks for the enlightenement. That concept of six characters playing one person is pretty cool and it reminds me of Citizen Kane.

    ReplyDelete